LPPA are responsible for handling all pension enquiries from members of the LBHF pension fund and admitted bodies.

LPPA can be contacted via "My Helpdesk" as shown below. Members of the My Helpdesk Team have the knowledge and expertise to deal with a wide range of pensions enquiries.

Before you contact us regarding your pension or the member portal, please visit our Q and A's page.

Hammersmith & Fulham: FAQs • Local Pensions Partnership Administration (lppapensions.co.uk) 

We will make every effort to provide you with a response as quickly as possible. In order for us to do so more quickly, please provide your national insurance number and date of birth (DD/MM/YY) with your enquiry.

By phone to the LPPA Helpdesk:

Phone on: 0300 323 0260

All calls are charged at the local rate.

Monday -Thursday 9am - 5pm

Friday 9am - 4pm

By post:


Sending original certificates:

Occasionally you may be required to send original certificates or other documents to LPPA. We recommend you do this via recorded delivery. If you use this method the documents will be returned to you in the same way.


LPPA Pension Services does not accept visitors to its offices but you can contact them via telephone or in writing using the contact us form as above.

The LBHF  Pension Fund

However if you do need to contact the pension Fund direct you can do so by emailing pensions@lbhf.gov.uk

Frequently asked questions

What happens if I change my address?

If you change your address please inform us.

What happens if I change my bank or building society details?

If you change your bank or building society details you must let us know by completing the change of bank details form, found in our resources section.

What happens if I move overseas?

We can continue to pay your pension to a UK bank or building society account.

Please contact us in regards to our policy for payments that differ from this payment method.

How will my divorce impact my pension?

You and your partner will need to consider how to treat your pension as part of any divorce/dissolution settlement.

Life cover

As a member of the Scheme you have valuable life cover, which is a lump sum paid on your death. If you have previously expressed the wish for your husband, wife or civil partner to receive this, you may want to fill in a new Expression of Wish form (see 'Resources' section) to let us know of any changes.

Please contact us for more information.

Click here for links to a number of websites that you may find helpful.

Useful links